Our Sustainable Innovation Pilot will support and enable co-created, innovative solutions to address climate change and support the financial viability of farms in West Kerry.
- Roll-out sensor technologies to an additional 30 farms on the Peninsula to support grassland management to extend the grazing season
- Encourage new collaborations and enterprises across the value chain between farmers, technology designers, data analysts, food/service entrepreneurs and consumers
- Greater carbon efficiencies on farms. For every 10-day extension in grazing season there is a 1.7% decrease in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Increased profitability on farms as well as new income streams from higher value products. for every 10-day extension in grazing season, profit is increased by 27 Euro per dairy cow
- Work with 33 consortium partners through the Ploutos Innovation Academy
The data from the sensors will provide scientific evidence of emissions savings and will add value to a range of products and services, e.g.
(i) using good environmental parameters in marketing goods from the area;
(ii) using localised ‘real-time’ weather data to tailor tourist packages optimised for changing weather conditions;
(iii) building a brand for the Dingle Peninsula to secure the region as a destination of choice, supported by data proving low food miles and low carbon footprint.
For more information click here.