- This event has passed.
NEWKD Community Development Workshops
North East West Kerry Development (NEWKD)
Most recently in 2019 NEWKD has begun a process with (the Gesera Institute and supported by MAReI ) local communities to produce an Integrated Territorial Development Plan for Corca Dhuibhne. This plan will evolve through public meetings in the peninsula, supported by the statutory sector and social partners, will be complementary of other plans and contribute to sustainable territorial development, in line with best international practice.
Key Objectives include ;
- To undertake a demographic and socio-economic profile of the peninsula, so as to establish baselines, identify development opportunities and to engage stakeholders in advancing evidence-based decision-making;
- To consult and engage with all relevant stakeholders, in ensuing strong ownership of the planning process and a commitment to the plan’s delivery;
- To examine planning and development processes in similar geographies internationally, so as to promote knowledge transfers, inter-territorial collaboration and the dissemination of
experiences and learnings;
- To promote connectivity, collaboration and complementarity with other geographies, agencies and institutions; and
- To contribute to policy-making and decision-taking processes and mechanisms that are consistently favourable to the peninsula’s sustainable development.
NEWKD has begun to facilitate, coordinate and guide this process, ensuring that it reflects the principles of community development, partnership and collaborative working. The initial focus was on resource mapping and civil society engagement. Subsequent stages in the process will involve engagement with agencies and the promotion of inter-territorial collaboration (e.g., including with Tralee and Uíbh Ráthach). As the process gathers evidence and momentum, NEWKD will convene a stakeholder forum, to oversee the plan’s compilation and delivery